Peppermint Essential Oil Uses and Benefits
Known for its minty fresh leaves, Mentha piperita better knows as Peppermint essential oil is used in a wide variety of applications, including teas and other beverages, soaps, shampoos, cigarettes, toothpaste, ice creams, candies, medicines, cosmetics, and chewing gums. Its effect on the digestive system is one of the reasons for its popularity as a favorite ingredient in after-dinner mints and chewing gums. Peppermint is refreshing, stimulating, and promotes clarity and alertness.
Studies at the University of Cincinnati revealed Peppermint oil improved concentration and mental alertness. Alan Hirsch, MD also discovered this oil helps to trigger the brain’s satiety center in the hypothalamus which gives the body a sense of fullness after a meal.
Because of its mostly cool menthol content (85%), Peppermint is found in most liniments to relieve painful muscle spasms and arthritic conditions. Its energetic scent was said to be an aphrodisiac in ancient times.
In Egypt, Peppermint was found in tombs dating from 1000 BCE. As one of the oldest herbs used for digestion, Peppermint is extremely effective against stomach ailments and helps with gaseous indigestion and an irritated colon. Its antispasmodic action relieves the smooth muscles of the stomach and gut, aiding with stomach pain, vomiting, and diarrhea. It is also successful in the treatment of odorous gas due to intestinal parasites or Candida. Peppermint essential oil is also great for headaches, fevers, colds, and flu. In addition, this pale white oil is hepatic and works to detoxify the liver.
Peppermint contains numerous minerals and nutrients including manganese, calcium, iron, magnesium, folate, potassium, and copper. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
Peppermint essential oil blends well with Lavender, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, and Lemon essential oils.
1. Place one drop of Peppermint Oil on your tongue for bad breath or after a meal to freshen your breath.
2. Peppermint relieves diarrhea or other digestive ailments, including indigestion. Place one or two drops on the tummy or on the tongue for instant relief. Inhaling Peppermint is also great for nausea.
3. To relieve aches all over the body, blend several drops of Peppermint essential oil with a carrier oil and massage into muscles.
4. Peppermint works wonders for headaches. Inhale deeply from an open bottle or place one or two drops of Peppermint essential oil on the temples or back of the neck.
5. Peppermint is great for recovering from jet lag. It resets your body’s clock and helps you recover quicker for a long trip.
6. Always carry Peppermint essential oil with you while traveling in a car to help prevent motion sickness. Massage several drops of Peppermint essential oil on the abdomen, place a drop on the tip of the tongue or wrists, or inhale to soothe minor stomach discomfort associated with travel.
7. For creepy-crawly pests such as Silverfish and Centipedes, place several drops of Peppermint Essential Oil in places that collect moisture: basements, under cabinets, or in garages.
8. To stop ants in their tracks, wipe your cabinets with a damp sponge and 6-8 drops of Peppermint essential oil. Place several drops on windowsills, along with woodwork, or in corners of kitchen countertop. You can also dilute 1:1 with water in a spray bottle and use it as needed. Reapply in 2-3 weeks.
9. Uninvited guests, such as mice hate Peppermint essential oil. Add several drops of Peppermint in places where you suspect mice have been.
10. For indigestion or upset stomach, place one drop of Peppermint essential oil in 1/2 glass of water to sip slowly to aid digestion.
11. Bad sunburn? Add 6-8 drops of Peppermint essential oil in the bath to cool the body in summer. It is also great in the winter for skin protection.
12. To help reduce a fever, sponge the body down with cool water that contains one drop of Eucalyptus, Peppermint, and Lavender essential oil each. Or, just two drops of Peppermint essential oil.
13. Stay alert behind the wheel. Place 2 drops of Peppermint essential oil on a tissue and place in front of your car’s air vent to keep you mentally alert.
14. Try dabbing a few drops of Peppermint essential oil on your face every night for the treatment of acne, pimples, insect stings, eczema, and other skin infections.
15. Peppermint essential oil works great as a natural herbicide. Spray on unwanted weeds in the garden.
16. Give your feet a break! The menthol derivatives in Peppermint essential oil have traditionally been used in foot oils because of their healing smell and ability to kill bacteria and fungi. It will relax muscles, while the plant chemicals in them kill a wide range of germs and bacteria commonly found on the feet causing foot odor.
17. Massage several drops of Peppermint oil for an invigorating foot scrub. Combine with Lavender essential oil for a soothing massage.
18. Try Peppermint essential oil for spasms and to help reduce pain and swelling.
19. For bursitis, combine Peppermint with a carrier oil and massage it.
20. Peppermint Essential oil can be infused into chocolates or any other sweets by placing loose chocolates in a box, then placing a piece of absorbent paper with a drop of Peppermint essential oil on it. Cover and sit for a couple of days.
21. Make your own refreshing cup of Peppermint Tea, by placing a drop of Peppermint essential oil in a cup of hot tea.
22. Combine Peppermint oil with Lavender to help prevent colds and flu. Use only a couple of drops in a bath, massage oil, or for inhalation.
23. For a deep facial cleanse, add a drop or two of Peppermint to your facial scrub or cleanser.
24. Peppermint oil detoxifies the liver and is an effective treatment for indigestion, irritated colon, and odorous intestinal gas.
25. Peppermint oil inhibits the further progress of the herpes virus. Drink two cups of warm Peppermint tea during the periods when the virus is most active.
Have you subscribed to our YouTube Channel yet? Join the Tribe!
Learn more about our Aromatherapy Certification Online Program.
BOOKS BY REBECCA PARK TOTILO
Organic Beauty With Essential Oil: https://amzn.to/2VOdVfz
Cleaning With Essential Oil: https://amzn.to/2S1vZSh
Therapeutic Blending With Essential Oil: https://amzn.to/3axSyEu
Natural Perfume With Essential Oil: https://amzn.to/2VszPpy
Heal With Essential Oil: https://amzn.to/2VTQPnX
Healthy Cooking With Essential Oil: https://amzn.to/3awrV2W
Pregnancy, Birth, and Baby Care With Essential Oil: Essential Oils for Labor: https://amzn.to/2S08Q2w
Aromatherapy Certification Level One: https://amzn.to/3bw6hgy
Aromatherapy Certification Level Two: https://amzn.to/3bvyzHZ
Aromatherapy Certification Workbook: https://amzn.to/2Vvx2fe
How to Lower Blood Pressure Naturally With Essential Oil: https://amzn.to/3btmH9u
How to Lower Cholesterol With Essential Oil: https://amzn.to/34Va1FI
Healing Arthritis Naturally With Essential Oil: https://amzn.to/3cCDYgv
Anoint With Oil: https://amzn.to/34XChrj
Heal With Oil: https://amzn.to/3atDB6r
The Fragrance of the Bride: https://amzn.to/34Zon7X
Holy Incense: https://amzn.to/2Vvyb6P
His Majesty Requests: https://amzn.to/2VvrH7Q
The Art of Making Perfume: https://amzn.to/2XWHluB
Healing Oils of Ancient Scripture: https://amzn.to/2yFRhOn
The Lord of the Dance: https://amzn.to/34VBnLY
A Portrait of the Bride: Shulamite: https://amzn.to/2xTZPRV
A Portrait of the Bride: Rebekah: https://amzn.to/2VKvFII
Who Is The Bride: https://amzn.to/34YsCRx
CHILDREN BOOKS BY REBECCA PARK TOTILO
The Christian Girls Guide to Change: https://amzn.to/2yF1tqk
The Christian Girls Guide to Money: https://amzn.to/34VvO0d
The Official Christian Babysitting Guide: https://amzn.to/3aovhF6
The Official Christian Kids Gardening Guide: https://amzn.to/2VPL0rt
Getting to Know God’s World: A Yearly Calendar, Grades PreK-1: https://amzn.to/3bw8UyL