Aromatherapy Blends for Children
Aromatherapy Blends for Children
When we think of creating therapeutic blends with essential oils for the home, their potential uses and benefits for children comes to mind. There are multiple ways in which essential oils are beneficial, especially for your family.
Although aromatherapy is beneficial for people of all age groups, it is an ideal therapy for treating common ailments children may experience. In addition, children will enjoy the aromas of oils and connect them to positive feelings. Moreover, the therapeutic blend of oils used in aromatherapy are natural and do not have any adverse effects in comparison to the medicines used to treat diseases in conventional medicine.
Other ways in which essential oils are beneficial for your children, include helping them relax, improve their digestion, strengthen their immune health and create a general balance and harmony in their bodies. Of course essential oils are not medicines, nor are they meant to replace medication. However, they can help both the body and mind attain a state of homeostasis, thereby, decreasing sickness.
Practical Uses and Benefits of Blends for Kids
- Aromatherapy blends can help your child relax and sleep more peacefully. Just add a drop of a favorite essential oil blend into running bath water for your child before bedtime to help him or her unwind and relax. Oils that produce relaxation in children include Roman Chamomile and Lavender.
- With tummy upsets, aromatherapy blends can help improve the digestive health of kids. You can simply rub a mixture of Fennel essential oil and Sweet Almond oil on the stomach of your little one to relieve the digestive symptoms of pain, colic and spasm.
- Diffusing small amounts of a blend containing Orange or Geranium oil brings about a feeling of joy and contentment in kids.
- A therapeutic blend of Rosemary, Spearmint and Grapefruit may be beneficial in promoting focus and mental concentration in kids.
- Aromatherapy is quite beneficial for children suffering from autism. Essential oils when inhaled have the ability to trigger the senses and reach the limbic system of the brain that affects both the neurological and physiological functions of the brain. Hence, using aromatherapy with autistic children helps them remain calm and happy. Using a therapeutic blend of essential oils can help the body stay calm and coordinated during episodes of anxiety.
Precautions When Using Essential Oils With Children
- Be aware of the chemical components within the essential oils you use in your therapeutic blend for kids. Some oils may contain large amounts of a citrus component or a powerful herbal extract that may cause an allergic reaction in children.
- It is best to test for allergic reaction in your kids before using any particular oil or therapeutic blend on them. Be sure to do a skin patch test to check for any allergic reaction.
- According to Medline Plus, applying Lavender oil to the skin of young boys who have still not reached the stage of puberty is unsafe. This is due to the hormone-like affects of Lavender essential oil that could cause an adverse effect on the normal hormonal balance. Using Lavender has resulted in the development of a condition called gynecomastia, a condition characterized by abnormal growth of breast in boys.
- Aromatherapy use is not recommended children less than six months of age.
- Aromatherapy is not meant to substitute professional medical attention when needed.
- Use the best quality oils available for making your therapeutic blends so you will get the best results.
- Never allow a child to use an essential oil without supervision.