Most of us, at one time or another, have experienced the anguish of headache pain. Recurring headaches may be an indication of a more serious condition. However, studies done around the globe, with people from all walks of life, cultures, and living conditions, attest to the fact that the most common type of headache is the tension headache.
Colds and flu are often accompanied by headache. During the winter months, going back and forth between cold and the dry heat given off by heaters can wreak havoc on our sinuses, with painful results for the head. No matter what the cause, what we want is relief. Fast, effective relief.
What does this blend do?
The purpose of this particular pain blend is to relieve tension headache pain by increasing the oxygen in the blood and promoting blood flow. The intent is to relax the mind while stimulating the circulatory system. This will help to bring balance to mind and body. Helichrysum has been used as just such a nerve tonic at least from the time of the ancient Greeks, if not longer. Cardamom, also a circulatory stimulant, is used for cardiovascular health and in treating depression. For this blend, it is especially indicated for migraine pain. Birch, with it’s natural cortisone-like effects, will help to relieve the pain quickly. Overall, this blend will assist with stress, fatigue, and anxiety.
The anti-spasmodic, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic properties contained within these oils will help also to relieve the muscular aches and pains often associated with tension.
The effectiveness of this blend is indicative of the strength of the essential oils contained within it. It should not be used for children or if you are pregnant. While Helichrysum and Cardamom are considered non-toxic, non-irritating, and non-sensitizing, Birch is potentially toxic. It is not recommended for use by asthma sufferers.
Most importantly, this blend is intended for use with the occasional headache. Severe and/or recurring headaches can be indicative of a more serious issue and a professional health care provider should be consulted.
Carrier: Lotion – 1/2 cup
Essential oils –
6 drops Helichrysum (Base note)
12 drops Cardamom (Middle note)
18 drops Birch (Top note)
Lotion blend: ¼ cup Olive oil, 1/8 cup Coconut oil, 1/8 cup Beeswax, ¼ tsp. Vitamin E oil (3 caplets)
Double-boiler; a small stir rod or whisk; ladle for pouring; bottles or tubs for finished product.
- On low heat, start warming olive and coconut oils and beeswax in double-boiler.
- Stir to blend. As soon as wax is fully melted (mixture will be clear), remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Add 2-3 caplets of Vitamin E oil, approx. 1/8 tsp. Stir to blend.
- Add essential oils starting with the base note Helichrysum, then middle note Cardamom, then top note Birch. Stir to blend.
- Pour immediately into containers.
- Label and date.
Instructions for use:
Use as needed for headache pain and muscular aches and pains caused by tension. For headache relief, apply to temples, under eyes, and lower forehead above the eyebrows. Massage onto neck, shoulders, and spine for tension relief. Avoid contact with eyes.
- This lotion tends to be a little thick. Add an additional teaspoon or two of olive oil or sweet almond oil to thin it some if desired.
- If you prefer not to use Birch essential oil, a good substitute would be Coriander, which is known for it’s qualities in helping with migraine pain, stress, and nervous debility.