Hyssop Essential Oil Properties and Uses
Hyssop Essential Oil Properties
plant origin: France, Hungary
medicinal properties: Antiseptic, disinfectant, anti-infectious, anticatarrhal, decongestant, cleansing, purifying, and helps reduce fats in tissue. Hyssop raises low blood pressure. It also helps to regulate menstrual flow and increases perspiration.
traditional uses: For almost a millennium, Hyssop has been used medicinally for its antiseptic, disinfecting, and anti-infectious properties. It has also been beneficial for opening the respiratory system.
other uses: Anxiety, arthritis, asthma, bruises, respiratory infections, coughs, cuts, dermatitis, indigestion, fatigue, nervous tension, parasites (expelling worms), rheumatism, sore throats, viral infections, and wounds.
application: Diffuse and apply topically.
note: Do not use if you are epileptic or have high blood pressure.
uses for hyssop
- To reduce stress and tension, rub a drop of Hyssop oil into the shoulder/neck area.
- Inhale Hyssop oil from the bottle to help loosen phlegm the chest area (it is an expectorant).
- To soothe burned skin, try using Hyssop oil.
- Apply hot compresses with Hyssop oil for rheumatism.
- To prevent scarring, apply Hyssop oil on injured area.
- To help reduce a bruise, apply a cold compress with Hyssop oil as soon as possible after bruising.
- For a chest rub, mix 10 drops of Hyssop oil with a 1-ounce base of carrier oil for respiratory conditions.
- Apply Hyssop oil to the chest, neck, and feet to help relieve symptoms related to the respiratory system, especially to help discharge mucus. Also try diffusing.
- Add 5-10 drops of Hyssop oil to your bath water for nervous exhaustion, guilt, or grief.